Gabriel Mujica is a post-doctoral research member in the Centre of Industrial Electronics, where he is mainly involved in the area of Networked Embedded Systems and Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN). He has participated in different national and European research projects related to the development and optimization of WSN as well as the integration of heterogeneous hardware, software and communication technologies for wireless distributed systems, with a particular focus on the performance evaluation of sensor platforms under deployment and commissioning. Currently, he is also targeting the implementation of embedded platforms towards urban mesh networking, and within the scope of smart application scenarios.
He has been collaborating with the organization of research tutorials and seminars at UPM and as a reviewer for several international conferences and journals (IEEE, Springer). Moreover, his doctoral research stay at Trinity College Dublin strengthened the vision and applicability of IoT technologies for smart and sustainable cities, leveraging collaborations in the area of distributed systems within such contexts. Furthermore, he has co-supervised several undergraduate projects, internship activities for international students and educational courses.
His main research interests are related to multi-hop distributed networks, hardware-software co-design for intelligent platforms, and communication protocols for embedded sensing systems.
- G. Mujica, J. Portilla, T. Riesgo, “Deployment Strategies of Wireless Sensor Networks for IoT: Challenges, Trends, and Solutions Based on Novel Tools and HW/SW Platforms”, in book Components and Services for IoT Platforms: Paving the Way for IoT Standards. Springer International Publishing, pp. 133-154, 2016. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-31 9-423 04-3.
- G. Mujica, J. Portilla, T. Riesgo, et al., “Integrated Toolset for WSN Application Planning, Development, Commissioning and Maintenance: The WSN-DPCM ARTEMIS-JU Project”, in Sensors Journal, vol. 16, n. 6: 804; 2016. DOI: 10.3390/s16060804.
- G. Mujica, J. Portilla, T. Riesgo, “Performance evaluation of an AODV-based routing protocol implementation by using a novel in-field WSN diagnosis tool”, in Microprocessors and Microsystems Journal, vol. 39, n. 8, 2015. DOI: 10.1016/j.micpro.2015.10.007.
- G. Mujica, A. Garcia, J. Gordillo, J. Portilla, T. Riesgo, “A Novel On-site Deployment, Commissioning and Debugging Technique to Assess and Validate WSN Based Smart Systems”, in proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS’15), Lisbon, Portugal, May 2015.
- G. Mujica, V. Rosello, J. Portilla, T. Riesgo, “On-the-fly Dynamic Reprogramming Mechanism for Increasing the Energy Efficiency and Supporting Multi-Experimental Capabilities in WSNs”, in proceedings of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON’13), Vienna, Austria, November 2013.