- Full Professor @ UPM (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid).
- Chair of the “Industrial Council” @ CEI (Centro de Electrónica Industrial)
- RCC Fellow @ Harvard University
- Fulbright scholar @ UC Berkeley
Employment & Teaching
Since 1991 he is a Faculty member (Full Professor since 2001) at UPM. He has been lecturing courses on Electronics with special focus on Fundamentals, Analog, and Power Electronics, for Undergraduate, Master and Doctoral students. He is member of the academic group “Innovative Education on Industrial Electronics”.
His contributions are focused in the field of Power Supply Systems for telecom, aerospace, industrial, automotive, renewable energy and medical applications. His research interests include energy efficiency in digital systems and RF amplifiers, magnetic components, piezoelectric transformers, transcutaneous energy transfer and dynamic power management. He also works in the generation of EM fields for water supercooling and biomedical effects. He advised over 40 Master Thesis and 14 Doctoral dissertations, published over 50 journal papers and over 300 technical papers and holds 8 patents (h>40; >7000 citations). He conducted professional seminars and tutorials in USA, UK, Austria, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Mexico and Macedonia.
In 2006, he was the Founding Director of the “Centro de Electrónica Industrial, CEI-UPM”, a University research Center leading a strong industrial program in Power Electronics and Digital Systems. Since 1986, he has been leading or participating in more than 60 direct R&D contracts for companies in
- Europe: ABB, Airbus Defence & Space, Airbus Military, Alcatel, Boeing, Bosch, EADS, Crisa, Fagor, Indra, Philips Hearing Implants, Premo, Sedecal, Sener, Siemens, Thales Alenia Space and Tecnobit
- USA: Ansoft/Ansys, Agere Systems, APEX, GE, Enpirion, Intel
- China: SISC, Huawei
- Australia: Cochlear
In the academic course 2016-17 he is on sabbatical in the USA. He has been “RCC Fellow” at Harvard University the Fall semester, and “Fulbright” scholar to work on Energy Efficiency, at UC Berkeley in the Spring semester. He visited and/or gave seminars at the National Science Foundation, MIT, Northeastern University, Dartmouth College, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Stanford.
Leadership / Service
- IEEE-APEC (over 4,500 attendees):
- Member of the Steering committee (2014-present)
- Expo Chair (2015-2017)
- Leadership track: Assistant Program Chair (2018), Program Chair (2019) and General Chair (2020)
- Editor in Chief of the Special issue on PwrSoC of IEEE-JESTPE (2017).
- General Chair of “PwrSoC 2016” (IEEE-PELS & PSMA)
- Associate Editor (AE) of the IEEE-PELS Transactions on Power Electronics (2003-present)
- Member-at-large (2012-2014) of the Administrative Committee of the IEEE Power Electronics Society
- Associate Editor (AE) of the IEEE-PELS Letters (2002-2005)
- Chair of the Technical Committee on DC Power Supply Systems of the IEEE-PELS (2001-2006)
At ETS Ingenieros Industriales, ETSII (UPM):
- “Vice Dean for Academic Studies” (2006-2010), adapting the engineering degrees to the Bologna declaration
- Executive Director of the “Sociedad de Amigos” (2006-2010), which coordinates the patronage of top Spanish companies to ETSII
- President of the “Alumni Association” (2006-2009)
- “Vice Dean for Research and Doctorate” (2004-2006)
- Deputy “Vice Dean for Academic Studies” (2000-2004)
At the Center of Industrial Electronics, CEI (UPM):
- Founding President of the “Industrial Council @ CEI” in July 2016, which coordinates Education & Research providing scholarships to CEI students, from Airbus SD – CRISA, Thales Alenia Space, Bosch, Premo, Huawei, Indra, Ansys, Viesca, Airbus and Apex
- Director, 2011 – 2015
- Founding Director, 2006 – 2007
- Fulbright Scholarship, at UC Berkeley, 2017.
- RCC Fellow, at Harvard University, 2016-17.
- 1st Award of “Certamen Arquímedes”, advising Victor Cordón. Ministery of Education. 2017
- Google “Little Box Challenge” award, to develop the smallest possible inverter, for PV panels and high density batteries. Google and IEEE-PELS. 2014
- ECPE (European Center for Power Electronics) grant, to participate in the “Little Box Challenge”, 2014.
- “Semikron Innovation Award” for the work on “RF Power Amplifier with Increased Efficiency and Bandwidth”. 2012
- “IEEE-PELS Richard Bass Outstanding Young Power Electronics Award”. 2000
- “UPM Research and Development Award” for faculty less than 35 years of age”, 2000